Ondoy on Television

0

Posted by Porbida Dolor | Posted in , | Posted on 9.27.2009

I have been very fond of weekends since I started working. I never thought how it feels so good to just wallow in my bed all day on a Saturday. Suprisingly, I would rather stay home than loiter around.

To an extent, I refuse to wash my clothes even on a Sunday. Until I realize, I have no clothes to wear for work this week. And so, late tonight I decide to wash, at least, five shirts.

I have a habit of watching news when I'm washing my clothes. I think, that's the only time I intently turn on the t.v for news. I am not a news person since the "Hello Garci" and ZTE scam. Philippine politics dishearten me big time! They eat up the news like cancer.

This time, the news is different. Philippine television is flooded. Literally--Manila area is flooded by Bagyong Ondoy. With deaths, and hundreds of people gone missing--what does someone like me has to do? It just makes me think. My worry does not help a single person stranded in some roof, waiting to be rescued.

I shut off the t.v and continued hand washing my clothes as if they can illuminate the entire world with bubbles. Like the man in the photo (taken by a friend using his camera phone when he was travelling through Katipunan, Quezon City), we all need to walk through life even if that meant ushering through what should have been taking us to places (like the motorcycle).

From one of my favorite authors, I like to quote: "

"Something pummels us, something barely sheathed. Power broods and lights. We're played on like a pipe; our breath is not our own." -Annie Dillard


*photo by Lester E.

Comments (0)

Post a comment